Dale H. Easley
Department of Natural and Applied Sciences
University of Dubuque
Dubuque IA 52001
Web site: http://daleeasley.com
University of Wyoming,
Laramie, WY, Ph.D, Geostatistics, 1989. Dissertation:
Applications of Frequency-Domain Conditional Simulation to
Geohydrology and Geophysics
University of Wyoming,
Laramie, WY, M.S., Geohydrology, 1987. Thesis: Groundwater
Modelling Using Geostatistical Simulation
Greensboro, NC, B.S. with Honors, Mathematics, 1982.
Professor, Department of Natural and Applied Sciences, University of
Head, Department of Natural and Applied Sciences, University of
Associate Professor, Department of Natural and Applied Sciences,
University of Dubuque.
Responsibilities include teaching physical and environmental
geology, statistics, water resources, GIS, research on computer
modelling of ground-water contamination, and community service.
Associate Professor of Geology and Geophysics, University of New
Responsibilities include teaching ground-water and environmental
statistics courses, research on computer modelling of
ground-water contamination, and community service.
Brookhaven Hydrogeology Panel.
Responsibilities include directing investigation of contamination
of ground water related to litigation at Brookhaven Oil Field,
MS. Study includes evaluation of sources of contamination,
planning and executing water sampling and analysis, geophysical
surveys, mapping areas of contamination, and producing documents
to be used in court.
Fulbright Fellowship to Qatar.
Responsibilities included teaching engineering geology and water
resources, training in computer applications, and research on the
Assistant Professor of Geology and Geophysics, University of New
Graduate Assistant to Dr. Leon Borgman, Professor of Geology and
Statistics, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
Responsibilities included assisting on projects for the
Environmental Protection Agency for studies of groundwater
contamination. Responsibilities included fortran programming of
groundwater models and simulation programs, occasional classroom
lectures, and program development for microcomputers.
Computer modelling of groundwater contamination for the
Environmental Research Center, Las Vegas, NV, including writing
computer graphic and data processing programs.
Mathematics Instructor, Nyeri Baptist High School, Nyeri, Kenya.
Field Assistant to Dr. Charles Almy, Guilford College,
Greensboro, NC, on a geophysics research project for increasing
yield in water wells in the Guilford County region.
Publications and Presentations
- Easley, Dale H., 2013. Undergraduate Research: Women in Science. Making Learning Visible Conference at Augustan
College, April 6th.
- Easley, Dale H., 2011. Telling Stories in Science: Igneous Rocks and My
Dad's Heart Attack. Making Learning Visible Conference at Augustan
College, April 30th.
- Waters, Jeffrey P., Dale H. Easley, Scott E. Noakes, Shea
Penland. 2009. Geochemistry of Surficial Sediments from Lake
Pontchartrain Resulting from the 1997 Opening of the Bonnet Carré
Spillway. Journal of Coastal Research: Special Issue 54, pp.
- Dorn, Brian R. and Dale H. Easley. 2009. Consolidation of Sand
and its Relationship to the Dredging Community. Mississippi River
Research Consortium Annual Meeting, vol 40., p.43.
- deSilva, Oliver, Mariah Husheena, and Dale H. Easley. 2009.
Water Quality in Backbone State Park, Iowa, and Possible Sources of
Contamination. Mississippi River Research Consortium Annual
Meeting, vol. 40, p. 42.
- Easley, Dale H., Oliver deSilva and Maria Husheena. 2008.
Determining Origins of Impaired Water Quality at Backbone State
Park, Iowa. Conference of the American Water Resources Association,
New Orleans, LA, Nov 17-20.
- Easley, Dale. H. 2007. Why is Haiti Poor? Presentation at the
Annual Conference of the American Water Resources Association,
Albuquerque, N.M., Nov 12-15.
- Moonen, C., J.J. White, G.L. Zuercher. D.H. Easley, and W.
Bucholtz. 2007. A Geographic Information System for the Mines of
Spain Recreation Area, Dubuque, IA. Mississippi River Research
Consortium Annual Meeting, vol. 39, p. 14.
- White, J.J., C. Moonen, G.L. Zuercher. D.H. Easley, and W.
Bucholtz. 2007. White-Footed Mice (Peromyscus Leucopus) at Mines of
Spain Recreation Area, Iowa. Mississippi River Research Consortium
Annual Meeting, vol. 39, p. 14.
- Lemke, L.D., T. Callahan, S. Custer, D. Easley, T. Eaton, K.
Nichols, and L. Joseph, 2006. Got Data? So What! Hydrogeologic
Interpretation Beyond Results. Geological Society of America, 2006
Philadelphia Annual Meeting, 174-10.
- Easley, D.H., 2006. Review of Geostatistical Analysis of
Compositional Data. Environmental Geology, vol. 49, p. 494.
- Easley, D.H., 2006. Energy Supply and Consumption. Great
Decisions Series, Dubuque, IA.
- Easley, Dale. H., June, 2006. A Review of Applied Contaminant
Transport Modeling. Journal of the American Water Resources
- Easley, D.H. 2005. Wandering. Maryknoll Regional Conference,
New Orleans, LA.
- Nasreen, Mosa Nahid and D.H. Easley, 2004. The Effect of Faults
Upon Ground-Water Flow in the Baton Rouge Fault System, Louisiana.
Accepted for GSA Annual Conference.
- Spring, Chris and D.H. Easley, 2004. High Resolution Monitoring
of Outflow from a River Diversion in a Louisiana Estuary.
Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 36, No.
5, p. 291.
- Easley, D.H., Gaubert, A., Dausman, A., and Stoessell, R.K., 2003.
Modeling of Salinity and Temperature Effects upon Ground Water in the
Surficial Carbonate Aquifer, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico.
The Second International Conference on Saltwater Intrusion and
Coastal Aquifers. Mérida, Yucatán, México.
- Stoessell, R.K., J.G. Coke and D.H. Easley, 2002. Localized
thermal anomalies in haloclines of coastal Yucatan. Ground Water,
- Easley, D.H and R.L. Vaughn, October, 2002. Maintenance: A
Challenge to Supplying Water in the Developing World. GSA Abstracts
with Programs, 34:6.
- Vaughan, W.C., D.H. Easley, and D.L. Lavoie, 2002. Averaging
Pore Statistics of 2-D Images for Predicting Permeability. Journal
of Hydraulic Engineering, 128:11, pp. 1002-1007.
- Stoessell, R.K., J.G. Coke, and D.H. Easley, 2002. Localized
Thermal Anomalies in Haloclines of Coastal Yucatan. Ground Water,
40, pp. 416-424.
- John R. and D.H. Easley, Jul 23-26, 2002. A Comparative Study
on the Effectiveness of Inverse Techniques Used in Hydrogelogy.
Integrated Transboundary Water Management Conference, Traverse
City, Michigan, oral presentation with abstract.
- John R. and D.H. Easley, June 17-20, 2002. Two Case Studies: An
Attempt to Study the State of the Art of Inverse Modelling.
ModelCare 2002, Prague, The Czech Republic, poster with abstract.
- John, R., M. Kulp, and D.H. Easley, April 25th, 2002. Louisiana
Coastline Restoration Efforts: The Search for Sand. GSA Joint
Annual Meeting, poster with abstract.
- Easley, D.H., March 7-10, 2002. Sustainable Development in
Fondwa, Haiti. Society for Applied Anthropology Annual Meeting,
Atlanta, GA, poster with abstract.
- Maclean, J., Y. Furukawa, D. Lavoie, C. Brunner, and D. Easley,
February 11-15, 2002. A Record of Water Column Dysoxia in Shelf
Waters of the Mississippi Prodelta Over the Past 100 Years. AGU
Ocean Sciences Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, poster with abstract.
- Stoessell, R.K., D.H. Easley, and G.H. Yamazaki, 2001.
Denitrification and Phosphate Removal in Experiments Using Al
Stearate. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, 21:2, pp. 89-96.
- Stoessell, R K. and D.H. Easley, Nov. 9-18, 2000. A Thermal
Spike Within the Halocline of Coastal Yucatan Sinkholes: Evidence
for the Return Arm of a Seawater Convection Cycle. 112th Geological
Society of America Annual Meeting at Reno Nevada, abstract with
- Easley, D.H., Dec 13-15, 2000. Why Do Rural Water Projects So
Often Fail? NGWA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, oral
presentation with abstract.
- Lavoie, D.L., W.C. Vaughan, and D.H. Easley, Dec 20-22, 2000.
Quantitative Effects of Bioturbation on Permeability Determined
Using a Whole-Tank Permeameter. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco,
CA, poster with abstract.
- Dausman, A., D.H. Easley, and R.K. Stoessell, November 6-9,
2000. Ground Water Model of the Northeastern Yucatan Peninsula,
Mexico. American Water Resources Association Technical Publication
Series TPS, 2000, Vol. 2000-3, pp. 87-90.
- Waters, J., D.H. Easley, A. Falster, S. Penland, and
J.L. Kindinger, May, 2000. Geochemical and Mineralogical
Variability in Lake Pontchartrain Surficial Sediments Resulting
from the 1997 Bonnet Carre Spillway Opening. Basics of the Basins
Symposium, New Orleans, oral presentation with abstract.
- Stoessell, R.K., G.P. Yamazaki, and D.H. Easley, May, 2000.
Denitrification and Phosphate Removal From Oxidized Home
Septic-Tank Effluent, Basics of the Basins Symposium, New Orleans,
oral presentation with abstract.
- Collins, W.H. and D.H. Easley, 1999. Fresh-Water Lens Formation
in an Unconfined Barrier-Island Aquifer. Journal of the American
Water Resources Association, 35:1, pp. 1-21.
- Easley, D.H., 1999. A Review of Diffusion in Natural Porous
Media: Contaminant Transport, Sorption/Desorption and Dissolution
Kinetics, Journal of the American Water Resources Association,
35:2, pp. 472-472.
- Yamazaki, Gordon P.; Stoessel, Ronald K.; Easley, Dale H.
American Water Resources Association Technical Publication Series
TPS, 1998, Issue 98-3, pp. 143.
- D.H. Easley, November, 1996. Simple Methods for Improving
Drinking-Water Supplies in Haiti. Hydrology in the Humid Tropic
Environment, Kingston, Jamaica, poster with abstract.
- Al-Hajri., K., A. El-Bahrawy, and D. Easley, 1996. A teaching
tool for pumping test analysis in Computer methods and water
resources III, Abousleiman Y., C.A. Brebbia, A.H.D. Cheng and
D. Ouazar, editors. International Conference on Computer Methods
and Water Resources, pp. 399-409.
- D.H. Easley. Qatar: Oil, Water, and People. Abstracts with
Programs-Geological Society of America, 1995, Vol. 27, Issue 6,
- Johnson, Thomas L. and D.H. Easley. Annual Meeting Abstracts-
American Association of Petroleum Geologists and Society of
Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists, 1994, pp. 182.
- Easley, D.H., 1994. Aquifers I've Lived Above. Department of
Geology Lecture Series, University of Qatar.
- Easley, D.H., 1994. Using Presentation-Graphics Software.
Department of Civil Engineering Lecture Series, University of
- Easley, D.H, 1993. Reply to Zekai Sen's Comments. Mathematical
Geology, 25:2, pp. 245-247.
- Moore, Y.K., R.K. Stoessell, and D.H. Easley, 1993. Reply to
the Preceding Discussion by Stephen R.H. Worthington of
"Fresh-Water/Sea-Water Relationship Within a Ground-Water Flow
System, Northeastern Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula." Ground Water,
Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 321-322.
- Moore, Y.K., R.K. Stoessell, and D.H. Easley, 1992.
Fresh-Water/Sea-Water Relationship Within a Ground-Water Flow
System, Northeastern Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, Ground Water,
Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 343-350.
- Easley, D.H., July, 1992,1993, 1994 and 1996. Ground Water and
Contamination, A series of lectures on science teaching and the
environment. Louisiana Strategic Initiative Program.
- Easley, D.H., April, 1993. Introduction to Ground-Water
Hydrology. Aa short course for the national convention of the
American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- J.J. Kersting and D.H. Easley, April 1993. Variations in
Calculated Hydraulic Conductivities. Annual Meeting Abstracts-
American Association of Petroleum Geologists and Society of
Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists, April 1993, pp. 128.
- Easley, D.H, August, 1992. Overview of Conditional Simulation
for Environmental Applications. American Statistical Association
National Conference, invited presentation.
- Easley, D.H., L.E. Borgman, and D.H. Weber, 1991. Monitor Well
Placement Using Conditionally Simulated Hydraulic Head.
Mathematical Geology, 23:8, pp. 1059-1080.
- Weber, D.H., D.H. Easley, and Evan Englund, 1991. Probability
of Plume Interception Using Conditional Simulation of Hydraulic
Head And Inverse Modeling. Mathematical Geology, 23:2, pp. 219-239.
- Easley, D.H., January, 1991. Conditional Simulation for
Monitoring Well Placement. American Statistical Association
Conference on Environmental Statistics, oral presentation with
- Easley, D.H., May, 1990. Groundwater Contamination: Endangering
Our Drinking Water. University of New Orleans Environmental Forum.
- Easley, D.H., L.E. Borgman, and P.N. Shive, 1990.
Geostatistical Simulation for Geophysical Applications, Part I:
Simulation. Geophysics, 55:11, pp. 1435-1440.
- Shive, P.N., T.R. Lowry, D.H. Easley, and L.E. Borgman, 1990.
Geostatistical Simulation for Geophysical Applications, Part II:
Geophysical Modelling. Geophysics, 55:11, pp. 1441-1446.
- Easley, D.H. and Y.K. Tung, 1988. Evaluation of Overflow
Probabilities in Runoff-Detention Basin Design. Stochastic
Hydrology and Hydraulics, 2:3, pp. 239-244.
- John Knox Coit Award for Teaching and Advising, 2011. University of Dubuque.
- Citation for Service to the Haitian Community of New Orleans,
2000, Marantha Baptist Church Youth.
- Fulbright Fellowship, 1994-1995, Lecturer/Researcher,
University of Qatar.
- National Ground Water Association / American Petroleum
Institute Award for graduate student Will Howell for his thesis
- National Ground Water Association Awards for graduate students
Bill Collins and Bill Ballard for their thesis proposals, 1994.
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists Awards for
graduate students Bill Collins and Lucie Kuhn for their thesis
- Oustanding Teacher, Department of Geology and Geophysics, 1992
Professional and Community Service
- Editorial Board Member, Environmental Earth Sciences.
- Undergraduate Coordinator, Department of Geology and
- Organizing Committee, Peace and Justice Minor, UNO.
- Organizing Committee, Writing Intensive Courses, UNO.
- Editor, Annual Alumni Newsletter, Department of Geology and
- Advisor, UNOGGS, the student geology club of the Department of
Geology and Geophysics, UNO.
- Honors Committee, UNO.
- Volunteer Science Teacher: Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Center,
Adult Education Program.
- Instructor: Lousiana Strategic Initiatives Program for
Secondary Environmental Education.
- Reviewer for Mathematical Geology, Journal of the American
Water Resources Association, Environmental Geology, and the
National Science Foundation.
- Steering Committee: Lake Pontchartrain Basin Symposium, May
- Steering Committee: creation of Technical Division of Louisiana
Ground Water Association for water-quality professionals.
- Technical Program Chairman, EMD Division: 1993 AAPG National
- Writer: "Environmental News," a column for the New Orleans
Geological Society's LOG.
- Organizer: course on environmental regulations, cosponsored by
the UNO Department of Geology and Geophysics, the New Orleans
Geological Society, and the AAPG Division of Environmental
Geosciences, November, 1992.
- Reviewer of environmental software, U.S. E.P.A., EMSL-LV, Las
- America Water Resources Association
- International Association of Mathematical Geologists
- National Ground Water Association
- New Orleans Geological Society
- Society for Applied Anthropology
- Institute for Religion in an Age of Science
- Nasreen, Mosa Nahid. The effect of faults upon ground
water flow in the Baton Rouge Fault System. 2003.
- Maclean, Jennifer Lynne. A record of bottom water
oxygen in shelf waters east of the Mississippi River Delta
over the past 100 years based on benthic foraminifers and
framboidal pyrite size distributions. 2002.
- John, Rahul. A Comparative Study of the Effectiveness
of Inverse Techniques Used in Hydrogelogy. 2002.
- Gaubert, Angela. The Effect of Temperature Upon
Salt-Water Movement Beneath Fresh Water in a Coastal
- Soteres, Alyssa Dausman. Groundwater Model of
Fresh-Water/Salt-Water Lens in the Northeastern Yucatan
- Vaughan, William Chadwick. A Quantitative Prediction of
Permeability in Fine-Grained Estuarine Sediments as a
Function of Bioturbation. 1999.
- Burnett, Robert. Characterization of a Fractured Basalt
Aquifer for Remediation Using Air Sparging and Soil Vapor
Extraction, American Falls, Idaho. 1997.
- Hymel, Gerald. Assessment of Contamintation Risk from a
Wood-Treatment Facility, Jena, Louisiana. 1997.
- Khandrika, Jitendra Babu. Modelling of Groundwater Flow
in the Pine Island Barrier Trend Beneath the University of
New Orleans. 1996.
- Ellis, Doug. Statistical Analysis of the Hydraulic
Interrelation of the Yazoo, Tallahatchie and Coldwater
Rivers with the Mississippi River Alluvial Aquifer, Yazoo
Basin, Northwestern Mississippi. 1995.
- Kerschbaum, Steve. Simulation of Pumping Scenarios
Using Numerical Flow Modeling with Particle Tracking to
Optimize Water Quality at Minden, Louisiana. 1995.
- Collins, Bill. Fresh-Water Lens Formation in an
Unconfined Barrier-Island Aquifer, Grand Isle, Louisiana.
- Gibson, Beth. Optimization of Municipal Water Supply
Systems Using the Genetic Algorithm. 1994.
- Ballard, Bill. The Development of Methods for
Calculating Transmissivity From Specific Capacity Within
the Mississippi River Alluvial Aquifer In Northeastern
- Brady, Helen. The Effects of River Stage, Rain and
Tides on Groundwater Flow at BP's Alliance Refinery. 1994.
- Johnson, Tom. Stratigraphy and Pumping Test Analysis at
a Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility, East Baton Rouge
Parish, Louisiana. 1994.
- Turbeville, John. Modelling of 1,2 Dichloroethane
Migration in a Near-Surface Aquifer System in South
- Johanson, Mary. Delineation of Time-Related Capture
Zones With Estimates of Uncertainty Using Conditional
Simulation of Hydraulic Conductivity and Numerical
- Herbert, Rob. Geostatistical Analysis of Percent-Sand
Data to Estimate Vertical Permeability for a Deep-Well
Injection Confining Zone. 1991.
- Moore, Yolanda. Ground-Water Flow Along the
Northeastern Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. 1991.